SEO Checklist 2018 (Infographic)Last Updated: April 2, 2018
2018 is going to be a big year for Digital. With this in mind, Lets get your SEO Campaign 2018 Ready with our SEO Checklist!
- It is important your website has a homepage that is easily accessible.
- Your website should be arranged in a clear, hierarchical or ‘tree-like’ layout.
- Link internally to other pages within your website, links allow Search Engines to crawl and index your other pages.
- Use ‘breadcrumbs’ such as ‘previous’ or ‘next’ buttons – this aids user-ability and is search-engine friendly.
- Ensure there is a Search Box panel on your webpage to aid in site navigation.
- Create pages that cannot be reached through ordinary user navigation within your site – link pages into and out of one another.
- Over-cram your drop-down menus with pages, this hinders user-ability.
- Provide a link to every single page on your website from your homepage – this overloads the page with too many tabs, reduces white space and slows loading time. If pages take more than 5 seconds to load you will experience a ‘bounce-off’ rate which will hinder your SEO ranking.
Engage in Good Schema Markup Practice
- Label, tag and file all forms of media you insert into your website. If you have a picture on your website of Conor McGregor for example, ensure you label it correctly as “Conor McGregor”. This helps Google to decipher what the non-text content on your website is and lets it know it is a professional website.
- Have URLs that use canonicalisation. For example, for apple.com may have a subpage for both iPhones and iPads. Good canonicalisation practice will ensure the apple.com/iphone relates to your iPhone page while apple.com/ipad will relate to to the page about your iPad inventory.
- Use misleading titles and tagging, the tagging should be relative to the content.
- Have multiple canonical URLs that lead to the same page – this confuses search engine algorithms.
- Have an infinite loop – the same two pages that keep linking to one another – this means users will be forced to leave your webpage in order to return to the beginning, if they do return at all.
- Create content that is of value to users, no matter what that use is, be it informative, newsworthy or for comedic viral-video value.
- Recreate duplicate or plagiarised content. If your site differs across various geographical area, create individualised content for those pages. Do not copy/paste content from other websites
Engage in Good Linking Practice
- Have content on your website that is quotable, shareable and easy to reference. This gives rise to Editorial Links.
- Have diverse back-links pointing to your key pages throughout your website.
- Have link networks on your website. This is punished by Google’s algorithms
- Use back-links that lead to pointless or trivial websites that have no relevance
- Buy links back to your website.
Improve User Experience
- Improve user experience by ensuring your webpages load quickly. Webpages that are slow to load experience large bounce off rates (people leaving your site).
- Ensure each page is aesthetically pleasing.
- Ensure that pages most important information is ‘above the fold’ – meaning where you would typically read the headline on the front page of a newspaper.
- That the webpage provides the information that is says it does ‘above the fold’.
- Overload your page with information.
- Place advertisements in the ‘above the fold’ area where your most important information should be.
Be Mobile Responsive
- Ensure website is mobile responsive. Be easy to read without zooming, pinching and expanding the screen
- Have easy to click links and tabs on your page that can be performed with the thumb.
- Have non mobile friendly software on your page, for example Flash Animation that will not display on Apple Mobile Devices.
Earn Social Signals through Social Media Distribution
- Distribute your content through social media channels. Have social media links on your website’s content.
- Have Share content buttons on top or bottom of your page.
- Spend money on bots that artificially share your content. These are detectable by search engines and can incur penalties thus negatively affecting your rankings.
If you have any queries in regards to your SEO Campaign for 2018 contact AGENT Digital today!
Download this infographic.